Facts about Surah Yaseen
- Surah Yaseen is the 36th Surah of the Quran.
- It has 83 verses.
- It was revealed in Mecca.
- It emphasizes the Quran as coming from a divine source.
- It warns those who refuse to believe in God and mock God.
- The meaning of the word “Yaseen,” is unknown. Although many meanings have been suggested, it is Allah who knows best.
- The last verse of Surah Yaseen translates as, “So Glorified is He and Exalted above all that they associate with Him, and in Whose Hands is the dominion of all things, and to Him you shall be returned.”
It is commonly known that Surah Yaseen is the “heart” of the Quran. Why is it known as the heart of the Quran? In our bodies, the heart is considered to be the most important organ. It supplies the entire body with blood to keep us functioning. Without the heart, the body cannot live. It is to emphasize the great importance of Surah Yaseen that it is called the “heart” of the Quran.
Therefore, reading Surah Yaseen comes with many benefits which true believers must not miss out on.
There are many ahadith which talk about the benefits of reading surah yaseen. In this hub, we shall take a look at several hadith which mention the benefits of reading surah yaseen.
What are some of the benefits of reading Surah Yaseen?
1. Reading Surah Yaseen at the beginning of the day causes Allah to fulfil all your needs for that day.
Hadhrat ‘Ataa’ bin Abi Ribaah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) says that Prophet Mohamed (Salallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is reported to have said, “ Whoever reads Surah Yaseen in the beginning of the day, all his needs for that day are fulfilled.”
2. Reading Surah Yaseen is equivalent to reading the whole Quran 10 times.
“Everything has a heart and the heart of the Glorious Quran is Surah Yaseen. Whoever reads Surah Yaseen, Allah records for them a reward equal to that of reading the whole Quran 10 times.” [Maqal, Tirmidhi 2812/A & Dhahabi]
It is said that Allah recited Surah Yaseen and Surah Taha 1000 yeards before the creation of Heaven and Earth, and upon hearing this, the angels said, “Blessing is for the ummah unto whom the Quran will be sent down; blessing is for the hearts that will memorize it, and blessing is for the tongues that will recite it.”
4. Reading Surah Yaseen invokes the mercy of Allah to forgive your sins.
“Whoever reads Surah Yaseen for the pleasure of Allah only, all his earlier sins are forgiven. Therefore make a practice of reading this Surah over your dead.”
5. Reading Surah Yaseen benefits the reader in this life as well as in the Hereafter.
According to one hadith, Surah Yaseen is named in the Torah as “Mun’imah” i.e. Giver of Good Things. This is because it contains benefits of the reader both in this world and the next. It removes from them the afflictions of this worlds and the next. Surah Yaseen also takes away the dread of the next life. [Hashiya of Tafsir Jalalalayn , pg 368].
6. Reading Surah Yaseen exalts the status of the believers both in this world and the next.
Surah Yaseen is also known as “Raafi’ah Khaafidhah” i.e. that which exalts the status of the believers and degrades the unbelievers. According to a riwayat, Prophet Mohamed (Salallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, “My heart desires that Surah Yaseen should be present in the heart of everyone of my ummah.” So memorize Surah Yaseen to reap its benefits.
Imam Ghazali said…
“Soundness of faith rests on acknowledging resurrection and judgment.”
Since Surah Yaseen talks about both resurrection and judgement in a detailed manner, it contains so many virtues.
7. Reading Surah Yaseen causes you to die as a shaheed.
According to one hadith, if anyone recites Surah Yaseen every night and then dies, they die as a shaheed (martyr).
8. Reading Surah Yaseen wipes out your sins, alleviates hunger and guides the lost.
“Whoever reads Surah Yaseen is forgiven; whoever reads it in hunger is satisfied; whoever reads it having lost their way, finds their way; whoever reads it on losing an animal, finds it. When one reads it apprehending that their food will run short, that food becomes suffient. If one reads it beside a person who is in the throes of death, these are made easy for them. If anyone reads it on a woman experiencing difficulty in child-birth, her delivery becomes easy. ”
9. Reading Surah Yaseen abolishes fear from your heart.
Maqri (Rahmatullah Alaihi) said, “If Surah Yaseen is read by one who fears the ruler or an enemy, one gets rid of this fear.”
10. Reading Surah Yaseen makes your dua’s to be answered.
According to one hadith, if somebody reads Surah Yaseen and Surah Was-Saaffaat on Friday and begs Allah something, their prayer is granted.
11. Read Surah Yaseen in the night for all your sins to be forgiven.
The Prophet said, ‘Whoever recited Surah Yasin in the night seeking Allah’s pleasure, Allah would forgive him’[Ibn Hibban, Darimi 3283/A, Abu Yala, Tabarani, Baihaqi & Ibn Mardawaih