وَيَقُولُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَوْلَا نُزِّلَتْ سُورَةٌ فَإِذَا أُنزِلَتْ سُورَةٌ مُّحْكَمَةٌ وَذُكِرَ فِيهَا الْقِتَالُ رَأَيْتَ الَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ يَنظُرُونَ إِلَيْكَ نَظَرَ الْمَغْشِيِّ عَلَيْهِ مِنَ الْمَوْتِ فَأَوْلَى لَهُمْ كَثِيرًا 20طَاعَةٌ وَقَوْلٌ مَّعْرُوفٌ فَإِذَا عَزَمَ الْأَمْرُ فَلَوْ صَدَقُوا اللَّهَ لَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَّهُمْ كَثِيرً
“Those who believe say, “Why has a surah not been sent down? But when a precise surah is revealed and fighting is mentioned therein, you see those in whose hearts is hypocrisy looking at you with a look of one overcome by death. And more appropriate for them [would have been] obedience and good words.”
Unfortunately, there are several ahkaam (commands) of Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) that I find difficult to follow, such as:
- My hijab (veil) is not perfect as per Shariah (Islamic law). Sometimes my abayas(cloaks) have adornment on them, and sometimes my scarves are not big enough to cover my shoulders and bosom.
- I am not patient at all times.
- I sometimes miss my Fajr salah (prayer).
- I am not punctual with my prayers.
- I commit many useless actions, which deprive me of goodness and reward.
- I am not brave enough to stop others from backbiting, and I become an accomplice by just staying there and listening.
- Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) tells us to encourage the good and forbid the evil. There are many vices prevalent in society that I do nothing to correct.
- Instill Taqwa (God-consciousness) within myself.
- Strengthen my Iman (faith) to the extent that when I listen to the hukm(command) of Allah (سبحانه و تعالى), I submit to Allah (سبحانه وتعالى )’s Will instantaneously.
- Resolve to heed the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم )’s statement that “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience to the Creator”.
- Prioritize and give importance to the things that matter and please Allah (سبحانه وتعالى ) most.
- Organize and discipline myself.
- Ask Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) for barakah (blessing) in my time.
- Do sincere dua (supplication).
- Bring khushou (focus) in my salah (prayer).
- Remember that Islam is a complete way of life!